Welcome to Nora! If you’re interested in The Nora School, we encourage your son or daughter to get to know us. We are looking for students who will contribute to our community and, at the same time, benefit from attending an intentionally small, personal, and intellectually engaging environment. We enroll students in grades 9 to 12 from throughout the greater Washington DC metropolitan region who are bright but are not fully engaged or challenged in larger or more rigid institutions.
We look for students who are curious, engaged, interested in taking greater responsibility for their lives, and capable of successfully completing a challenging curriculum. The admissions process is individual, personal, and engaging: it includes a half-day student visit, a parent and student interview, an application, academic references, and an official transcript.
We are currently interviewing students for school year entry, as we continue to strive for being open for students, and not necessarily by a deadline. While we await our expanded building, we are full for the 2016-17 academic year, however we have a very few openings in the current 9th grade and 10th grade. We hope you will get to know us further by calling our Director of Admissions.
“Everyone deserves a second story.” Here at Nora, our students get a second chance to reinvent themselves as a thriving, college-bound student. Our building will soon have a second story too! We are looking forward to our construction being completed soon and to having more openings in all grades once we add our second floor, thereby re-offering Rolling Admissions. Please continue to view our website for news about our upcoming second story expansion! As we grow, we will continue to be thoughtful in our admissions process, adding a limited number of additional student openings each year, while remaining dedicated to keeping our classrooms and community a small, engaging, nurturing and intellectual high school.
Congratulations on taking an active role in helping your child become a stronger, empowered student. We look forward to meeting you soon.
How to apply
During the School Year:
- Get to know us. Peruse the Nora School website with your student. Visit us at one of our Open House sessions, or contact Marcia Miller, the Director of Admissions, to visit or to request more information and brochures. Stop by our table at the many education fairs we participate in. Come to our Parent Education Series or our other public events.
- Call us at 301-495-6672 to talk with Marcia Miller, Director of Admissions and make an appointment for an Admissions visit and interview. Parent Meetings are usually in the afternoon. For our visiting students, half-day Admissions visits begin between 9:00 and 9:30 a.m. and end at 11:30, and we also offer limited afternoon visits beginning at 12:30 p.m. to 2:30. Each prospective student attends several classes with a host student and while there, parents will tour the school, meet with the Admissions Director and also meet with Dave Mullen, head of the school. Parents are generally finished by 10:00 or 10:30. Students stay until 11:30 or 11:45 am when they are ready for pickup.
- Submit an application, along with a $75.00 application fee. Call us for an application at 301.495.6672 or email Marcia Miller, Director of Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Completed applications are not required before the Admissions visit; the visit is required, however, to round out the full application.
- Submit a request to your current school for official transcripts, records, and any educational testing to be sent to the Admissions Office. A transcript request form is included in the application papers. A transcript can be faxed or emailed for the purposes of application timing, but an official transcript will be required before a student can begin attending classes. Testing, while not required, is requested if any has been done.
- Submit a reference form to your student’s current and recent teachers. Contact Marcia Miller for this form.
Deadlines: The Nora School continues to have a rolling admissions policy and when there are openings, we admit students throughout the school year in addition to our students who join us at the beginning of the school year. We believe there is no deadline to knowing when a different school choice is the right one, thus there is no admissions deadline. (Please review our Financial Aid page for specific deadlines related to this particular process, in early February.) After we receive your child’s application, records, and at least 2-3 academic references, the Admissions Committee will review your student’s application materials. We will notify you as soon as we reach a decision, usually within 2-3 weeks of receiving an application, or for Fall admissions, by early March.
To set up a visit or receive more information including an application, please contact Marcia Miller, Director of Admissions at email@example.com or by calling (301) 495-6672. To visit, please call or email to arrange a date and time. Or attend any of our Open House Information Sessions from 9:15 – 10:00 am during the school year.
If you cannot make an Open House and you’d like to schedule a visit to our school on another weekday or time, please call us at (301) 495-6672. We look forward to showing you our incredible high school learning environment.
Marcia Miller, Director of Admissions